Under general supervision, is responsible for performing preventative
maintenance activities on heavy and off-road equipment. Performs minor
repairs on light-duty vehicles and trucks. Exercises no supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs assigned preventative maintenance work including changing
oil and other fluids, greasing joints, and replacing filters on heavy
equipment and some light-duty vehicles.
- Performs minor repairs including work on starters, alternators,
brakes, belts, hoses, windshield wipers, and gasoline engines.
- Completes required work order paperwork.
- Conducts safety checks on all equipment.
- Assists in heavy equipment repairs and heavy equipment adjustments.
- Assists higher level mechanics on project work.
- Performs other maintenance duties.
- Transports vehicles of all types to work locations or repair vendors.
- Performs inventory, monitors check out/check in of parts, and
identifies salvageable parts.
- May change/repair tires and wash equipment, as needed.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent (recognized by the Texas
Education Agency or a regional accrediting agency).
- Minimum of six (6) months of experience performing essential job
functions listed above which could include experience gained through a
technical training program.
- Must possess a Texas Class "A" Driver's License (CDL) or obtain
within 90 days of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of operating characteristics of a variety of automotive and
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety precautions,
practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of tools, equipment, and diagnostic testing devices used in
auto, truck, and heavy equipment repair and maintenance.
- Knowledge of automotive heavy equipment systems repair and
- Knowledge of principles and practices of record keeping.
- Knowledge of repair and maintenance scheduling techniques and
- Knowledge of automotive and heavy equipment trouble shooting and
diagnostic procedures and techniques.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in
- Ability to perform automotive and heavy equipment repairs and
- Ability to diagnose defects and repair needs on a wide variety of
automobiles, trucks, and heavy equipment.
- Ability to operate all tools and equipment used in automotive and
heavy equipment repair.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships,
with employees, supervisors, and the general public.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position.